This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Closing date:26 July 2019 at midday
We are currently recruiting for a Lead Examiner for BTEC nationals - applied psychology unit 1, Psychological approaches and applications
Purpose of the role
A BTEC Lead Examiner will be the responsible and accountable subject expert for externally assessed units - in terms of specification interpretation, and the accuracy and correctness of assessment items.
The Lead Examiner will:
· Lead and support the development, production, review and amendment of externally assessed items for the area of subject responsibility
- Lead a team of examiners
- Lead on the awarding of assessment outcomes
- Keep up to date with changes in the sector
- Have a detailed and up to date knowledge and understanding of the range of external assessment methodologies to be deployed
- Report to and update the Senior Examining and Standards Verifier on a regular basis
- Produce an end of year report within the parameters of a defined template in order to comment on nationals standards
- Report back to Pearson within agreed service-level agreements
- Contribute to Pearson’s ‘Ask the Expert’ service
- Represent Vocational Assessment or Pearson as required
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the work of Vocational Assessment in relation to this role.
The Assessment Development Process
For the development of external assessments, the Lead Examiner will:
- Write new external assessment instruments in line with SAMs for a given unit
- Be responsible for the quality of all items deployed for external assessment
- Assist with the statistical analysis of external assessment data
- Advise Pearson of any changes which could have an impact on items
- Ensure all items provide a valid and fair test of achievement
- Check the sense and meaning of items
- Input and lead on the training for item writing as required
- Lead on the standardisation of item writers as required
- Attend QPEC meeting(s) to finalise external assessment instruments
- Review amended external assessment instruments as necessary
- Sign off content or amend when requested to do so
- Respond to Pearson staff queries concerning technical issues with items.
For the delivery of external assessments, the Lead Examiner will:
- Lead on the pre-standardisation of the senior team
- Lead on the training and standardisation of Examiners
- Lead on the monitoring of Examiners during the marking period
- Be responsible for the awarding of external assessment outcomes.
- Have UK school-based teaching experience, in the relevant subject and qualification.
- Have the right to work in the UK and a UK bank account.
Previous Work Experience
- Substantial subject knowledge and expertise within the sector
- Significant experience in delivering and assessing vocational qualifications
- Experience in the production of external assessments within the sector
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in the field of assessment of vocational qualifications
- Leading a team
- Experience of advising and supporting others in the production of external assessment within the sector.
- Experience of marking and results delivery, to include the examination process, pre-standardisation and standardisation activities, and awarding
- Experience of teaching or assessing general qualifications
- Experience of analysing statistical data in relation to performance of tested items.
Skills and Knowledge
- A clear understanding of the educational landscape and regulatory requirements for qualifications within the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF)
- Detailed knowledge of the specifications that comprise the area of expertise for the role
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ability to edit materials to ensure they are grammatically correct and fit for purpose
- Excellent communication, written, verbal, IT and interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand the implications of decisions taken on Pearson’s behalf and not to operate outside the sphere of responsibility defined within this job description
- Demonstrable people management skills
- Intermediate to advanced level skills in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
Any associate undertaking this role must:
- Have personal IT equipment capable of running Pearson required software
- Have a suitable internet connection
- Have a personal and secure email account
- Have a postal address in the United Kingdom or Republic or Ireland
- Declare any conflicts of interest that could impact on the role
- Have availability of a minimum of 10 days, depending upon the requirements and workload for the sector, in any given year
- Abide by the terms of conditions as stated in the contract for work