End Point Assessor - Apprenticeship - Healthcare Support Worker Level 2 2020
Closing date:31 March 2021 at midday
Job description: Independent end-point assessor for Healthcare Support Worker (Level 2) End Point Assessments
Overview of the independent end-point assessor role
Government has introduced a requirement that all apprenticeships contain an End-Point assessment (EPA) which is a holistic assessment of the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviour (KSBs) that have been learnt throughout the apprenticeship. This is to make sure that apprentices meet the rigorous standard set by employers and are fully competent in the relevant occupation. Pearson must provide employers with the confidence that completing an apprenticeship means an individual is fully job-ready and that all apprentices, following the same standard, are assessed consistently, regardless of where they are undertaking their apprenticeship or who they are doing it with.
An independent EPA means that those making a decision on the competency of the apprentice have nothing to gain from the outcome of the assessment. To maintain independence within the scope of this EPA, an independent end-point assessor (IEA) can only undertake end-point assessments of apprentices, with whom they have no conflict of interest. This means they must be independent of the registered apprenticeship training provider at which the apprentice completed their on-programme element, and must not have been involved in the on-programme training, assessment, or line management of such apprentices.
The end-point assessments will be conducted onsite, on dates agreed with employers. IEAs will record and submit the EPA outcomes, with clear justifications for the grading decisions. EPA activities will be quality assured by Pearson quality assurance representatives.
IEAs will be trained, standardised and approved to operate as IEAs. The IEAs will undertake EPAs in line with the associated apprenticeship assessment plan, and the materials provided by Pearson.
The IEA will:
· Take part in regular training and standardisation activities, associated with the role of IEA for this EPA
· Maintain and provide evidence of ongoing, relevant Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
· Assess the performance of candidates in accordance with published assessment and grading criteria and procedures, ensuring overall standards are maintained
· Follow the protocols set out in Pearson’s specifications, assessment materials and quality assurance protocols, relating to the EPAs
· Maintain service-level agreements with regards to responding to EPA planning, operational activities, reports and submissions of assessment outcomes
· Report all risks and issues encountered during the end-point assessment to Pearson, including any suspected malpractice/maladministration
· Ensure all EPA reports and assessment evidence are high quality and recorded accurately
· Support Pearson, if necessary, with any appeals from apprentices, regarding assessment decisions
· Raise any conflicts of interest, including in relation to the independence of assessment
· Ensure that any personal actions are completed, as required by Pearson
· Contribute to the continuous improvement of Pearson’s end-point assessment activities
· Contribute to the external quality assurance activities undertaken by Ofqual.
Background and Experience (essential):
· Be occupationally competent
· Be a registered healthcare professional or have completed a level 3 apprenticeship or regulated occupational competence qualification at level 3 or above
· Hold, or be working towards, a formal assessor qualification (e.g. A1, TAQA etc)
· Have experience of working in a health or social care setting within the last 2 years
· Experience of leading meetings/structured interviews/discussions
· Experience of complying with quality assurance/regulatory requirements
Hold a current DBS certificate (Applicants applying for this role will will need to hold an Enhanced DBS (with or without a barred list check) that is registered for the update service. Other supporting documents will also be required as evidence. Upon submission of an application, the Associate Recruitment team will be in touch to request DBS evidence and supporting documents. For further information on the DBS requirements please read the attached document titled DBS Guidelines for applicants)
· Evidence of commitment to maintaining CPD, in line with the EPA specialism
Background and Experience (desirable):
· To hold, or be working towards an internal quality assurance qualification
· Experience of making grading judgements
Knowledge of prevent & safeguarding
Skills & Knowledge (Essential)
· Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively respond to conflicts
· Ability to understand and respond to the individual needs and circumstances of employers/apprentices
· Sufficient and relevant technical knowledge of:
· the healthcare sector
· the role of the healthcare support worker
· In-depth knowledge of the associated apprenticeship standard, assessment plan, specification, assessment instruments and recording tools
· Ability to assess, free from bias
· Ability to assess and report risks
· Ability to meet deadlines
Any applicant undertaking this role will be expected to:
We value the power of inclusive culture and embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm. Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the centre of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive. We provide content, assessment and digital services to learners, educational institutions, employers, governments and other partners globally. We are the UK's largest awarding body and offer qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in a range of General and Vocational courses.
To take advantage of this opportunity complete our online application