Chief Examiner - BTEC Nationals - Applied Science
Closing date:24 September 2023 at midnight
BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science – Chief Examiner
A BTEC Chief Examiner will be accountable and responsible for all externally assessed components within the Level 3 Applied Science specification, as well as be responsible to the Chair of Examiner(s) for ensuring that the examination as a whole meets the requirements of the specification and maintains standards year on year. Read our FAQs for further information.
· Take accountability for the integrity and accuracy of all externally assessed components within the Level 3 Applied Science specification.
· Supervise the Lead Examiner(s).
· Report to and update the Chair of Examiner(s) on a regular basis in terms of marking progress, examining team and any other issues that might arise.
· Act as Lead Examiner for at least one unit/component of the examination.
· Supervise the construction of the question papers, assessment objective grids and mark schemes to ensure appropriate standards in collaboration with the Chair of Examiner(s).
· Ensure that the question papers, as a whole cover the assessment criteria as set out in the specification, and satisfactorily sample the appropriate content.
· Participate in the awarding process, ensuring that there is comparability in the standards of awards made via different options or tiers.
· Report back to Pearson within agreed service-level agreements.
· Represent Vocational Assessment or Pearson as required.
· Undertake any other duties appropriate to the work of Vocational Assessment in relation to this role.
Experience and Qualifications
· You will have a relevant degree in Science.
· You will have experience of teaching the relevant subject and level.
· You will be a qualified teacher.
· You will have robust assessment experience and will have been at least a Team Leader or similar level in the relevant qualification.
· You will have experience of managing people and teams.
· You will have evidence of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in the field of assessment of general or vocational qualifications.
Skills and knowledge
· Have quality written and verbal communication skills.
· Have sound organisational skills.
· Have the ability to work well under pressure.
· Have the ability to meet deadlines and follow procedures accurately and reliably.
· Be IT/computer literate.
· Be passionate about VQ assessments and helping others reach their full potential.
· Abide by the terms of conditions as stated in the contract for work.
Please be aware that for all our senior roles, you will be required to have access to a personal PC with internet connection in order to carry out your duties (for more details please see our System Requirements).
Welcome to Pearson, the world's leading learning company. We have a simple mission: to help people make more of their lives through learning. We are the UK's largest awarding body and offer qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in a range of General and Vocational courses.
We value the power of inclusive culture and embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm. Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the centre of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
Application InformationWe have a number of opportunities available for teaching professionals to join our growing teams of examiners, moderators and verifiers.
To take advantage of this opportunity complete our online application