Lead Examiner - BTEC Nationals - Applied Science
Closing date:24 September 2023 at midnight
BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science – Lead Examiner
A BTEC Lead Examiner will be the responsible and accountable subject expert for externally assessed units - in terms of specification interpretation, and the accuracy and correctness of assessment items. Read our FAQs for further information.
· Lead and support the development, production, review and amendment of externally assessed materials for the area of subject responsibility.
· Lead a team of examiners.
· Keep up to date with changes in the sector.
· Have a detailed and up to date knowledge and understanding of the range of external assessment methodologies to be deployed.
· Report to and update the Chief Examiner and Chair of Examiner(s) on a regular basis in terms of marking progress, examining team and any other issues that might arise.
· Produce an end of series report (the Lead Examiner report) within the parameters of a defined template in order to comment on national standards.
· Report back to Pearson within agreed Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
· Represent Vocational Assessment or Pearson as required.
· Undertake any other duties appropriate to the work of Vocational Assessment in relation to this role.
The Assessment Development Process:
For the development of external assessments, the Lead Examiner will:
· Write new external assessment instruments in line with Sample Assessment Materials for a given unit.
· Follow and meet all agreed Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
· Be responsible for the quality of all items deployed for external assessment.
· Advise Pearson of any changes which could have an impact on all relevant materials.
· Ensure all papers provide a valid and fair test of achievement.
· Check the sense and meaning of all relevant materials.
· Input and lead on the training for item writing as required.
· Attend QPEC meeting(s) to finalise external assessment instruments.
· Review amended external assessment instruments as necessary.
· Sign off content or amend when requested to do so.
· Respond to Pearson staff queries concerning technical issues with materials.
For the delivery of external assessments, the Lead Examiner will:
· Lead on the pre-standardisation of the senior team.
· Lead on the training and standardisation of examiners.
· Lead on the monitoring of examiners during the marking window.
· Be responsible for the awarding of external assessment outcomes
· Assist with the statistical analysis of external assessment data.
Experience and Qualifications Required
· You will have a relevant degree in Science.
· You will have experience of teaching the relevant subject and level.
· You will be a qualified teacher.
· You will have robust assessment experience and will have been at least a Team Leader or similar level in the relevant qualification.
· You will have experience of managing people and teams.
· You will have evidence of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in the field of assessment of general or vocational qualifications.
· You will have quality written and verbal communication skills.
· You will have sound organisational skills.
· You will have the ability to work well under pressure.
· You will have the ability to meet deadlines and follow procedures accurately and reliably.
· You will be passionate about VQ assessments and helping others reach their full potential.
· You will abide by the terms of conditions as stated in the contract for work.
Please be aware that for all our senior roles, you will be required to have access to a personal PC with internet connection in order to carry out your duties (for more details please see our System Requirements).
Welcome to Pearson, the world's leading learning company. We have a simple mission: to help people make more of their lives through learning. We are the UK's largest awarding body and offer qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in a range of General and Vocational courses.
We value the power of inclusive culture and embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm. Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the centre of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive
Application InformationWe have a number of opportunities available for teaching professionals to join our growing teams of examiners, moderators and verifiers.
To take advantage of this opportunity complete our online application